Disclosure: This article may contain PR or affiliate-related content.
Hello, I’m Yuta Nishi, a Japanese blogger writing about healthcare, technology, gadgets, cars, motorcycles, and daily-life topics from a practical perspective.
Recently, I contacted Volla Systeme GmbH regarding the Volla Phone Plinius, a smartphone that has attracted my attention as an overseas device with a strong focus on privacy and independence from major platform ecosystems.
This article is an English-language update for international readers, including Volla users, overseas smartphone enthusiasts, and companies interested in how devices like the Volla Phone Plinius may be introduced to a Japanese audience.
The Japanese version of this article is available here:
Volla Phone Plinius Review Unit Update: Japanese Article
Background: Why I Contacted Volla
As a Japanese blogger, I was interested in introducing the Volla Phone Plinius to readers in Japan.
However, when introducing an overseas smartphone to a Japanese audience, it is not enough to simply describe the specifications or design. In Japan, wireless certification is an important point that must be handled carefully, especially for devices that use cellular networks, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or other wireless communication functions.
For that reason, I contacted Volla Systeme GmbH to ask about the following points:
- Whether it would be possible to review the Volla Phone Plinius for a Japanese audience
- Whether official product photos, specifications, and press materials could be provided
- Whether a review unit, loan unit, or press sample would be available
- How certification and Japanese market considerations should be explained accurately
This was one of my first experiences contacting an overseas smartphone manufacturer directly as an individual blogger, so I was not sure whether I would receive a response.
However, Volla Systeme GmbH kindly replied and confirmed that they would be willing to support my review.
Volla Confirmed That a Review Unit Can Be Provided
According to the reply I received from Volla Systeme GmbH, they are willing to provide a review unit of the Volla Phone Plinius.
The response included several important points:
- Volla would like to send a review unit of the Volla Phone Plinius
- Shipping costs for sending the device to Japan will be covered by Volla
- Return shipping costs after the review is completed will also be covered by Volla
- There is no need to rush the review process
- I may take the time needed to evaluate the device properly in real-world use
- Official product photos, specifications, and press materials can be provided
- A 5% reader discount code may also be prepared after agreeing on the preferred code name
For an individual blogger, this is a very meaningful opportunity.
Instead of writing only from specifications or promotional materials, I will be able to evaluate the device directly and provide a more grounded review based on actual experience.
Why the Flexible Review Period Matters
One point I especially appreciated was that Volla stated there is no need to rush the review.
A smartphone cannot be evaluated properly only by looking at its spec sheet. Real-world use matters.
Important points such as build quality, display visibility, user interface, battery behavior, camera usability, software experience, and daily usability can only be understood after spending time with the device.
This is especially true for the Volla Phone Plinius, because it is not simply another Android smartphone. Volla devices are known for their focus on privacy, digital independence, and alternatives to Google-dependent smartphone use.
For that reason, I would like to take enough time to evaluate the device carefully rather than rushing to publish a superficial review.
What Is the Volla Phone Plinius?
The Volla Phone Plinius is one of the smartphones developed by Volla Systeme GmbH.
According to the official Volla website, the Volla Phone Plinius features a 6.67-inch FHD+ OLED display, a refresh rate of up to 120 Hz, a MediaTek Dimensity 7300 processor, and a 64 MP main camera.
The device is also positioned as a smartphone that can provide a privacy-focused experience through Volla OS, including a less Google-dependent approach to smartphone use.
I will review the final specifications carefully based on official information and any press materials provided by Volla.
Official product information is available here:
Volla Phone Plinius Official Product Page
Wireless Certification Is an Important Issue in Japan
One of the most important topics for this review is wireless certification in Japan.
When introducing an overseas smartphone to Japanese readers, it is necessary to explain that wireless communication functions such as cellular networks, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth may require proper certification for use in Japan.
In Japan, this is commonly discussed in relation to the Technical Conformity Mark, often called the Giteki mark in Japanese.
Volla’s reply confirmed that the device is currently CE-certified, and that Japanese certification would become relevant if Volla or a local partner decides to officially market the device in Japan.
Therefore, even if I receive the review unit, I will handle wireless communication testing very carefully.
Before using SIM, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or other wireless functions in Japan, I would like to confirm the following points:
- Whether the review unit has Japanese wireless certification
- Whether a Technical Conformity Mark or certification number is displayed on the device or in the settings menu
- Whether the review unit is covered by the same certified model or design as any future Japan-ready model
- Whether Volla provides official guidance on wireless testing in Japan
Until these points are confirmed, my review will focus mainly on areas that can be evaluated without using wireless communication in Japan.
Planned Review Scope Before Certification Is Confirmed
If Japanese wireless certification cannot be confirmed at the time of testing, I will avoid using SIM, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and other wireless functions in Japan.
In that case, the review will focus on the following areas:
- Design and build quality
- Size, weight, and handling
- Display quality
- General user interface
- Volla OS experience
- Settings menu and available options
- Camera app usability without online features
- Official specifications
- General impressions as an overseas smartphone
- Important points for Japanese readers to consider
If certification is later confirmed for the review unit itself, I may expand the review to include wireless communication-related testing.
However, I will not describe the device as “fully usable in Japan” unless the necessary information is clearly confirmed.
Why This Matters for Japanese Readers
For many Japanese readers, overseas smartphones are attractive because they often offer unique design concepts, unusual operating systems, strong privacy features, or specifications that are different from mainstream domestic models.
At the same time, overseas smartphones can be difficult to evaluate from Japan.
Readers need clear information not only about the product’s strengths, but also about practical issues such as:
- Wireless certification
- Japanese language support
- Availability of support and warranty
- Compatibility with Japanese networks
- Software updates
- Ease of use for non-technical users
For this reason, I believe that a responsible review should not simply promote the product.
It should clearly separate confirmed facts, personal impressions, official information, and points that still need confirmation.
Transparency About the Review Unit
If the review unit is provided by Volla Systeme GmbH, I intend to clearly disclose this in the article.
For example, I plan to include wording such as:
“This review is based on a review unit provided on loan by Volla Systeme GmbH.”
This kind of disclosure is important for transparency.
Even when a device is provided for review, I believe it is important to evaluate both its strengths and limitations from the reader’s perspective.
Official Photos and Press Materials
Volla also stated that official product photos, specifications, and press materials can be provided.
This is helpful because it allows the article to use accurate product images and official information rather than relying on unclear third-party sources.
Before using any materials, I will also confirm whether there are any usage conditions, credit requirements, or restrictions.
Reader Discount Code
Volla also mentioned that a 5% discount code for readers may be prepared after agreeing on the preferred code name.
At the time of writing, the discount code details have not yet been finalized.
Therefore, I will only introduce the discount code after confirming the following:
- The official discount code name
- Eligible products
- Discount conditions
- Expiration date, if any
- Whether the code is valid for Japanese readers
If the discount code becomes available, I will clearly explain the conditions so that readers can understand it correctly.
What I Plan to Review
Once the review unit arrives, I plan to examine the Volla Phone Plinius from the perspective of a Japanese user and technology blogger.
The main points I would like to review include:
- First impressions and packaging
- Design and build quality
- Display and touch response
- Volla OS user experience
- Privacy-related features
- How practical a Google-independent smartphone can be
- Japanese language input and display
- Camera usability
- Battery impressions
- Who may be interested in this device
- Important cautions for Japanese readers
I would like to make the review useful not only for readers who are already interested in Volla, but also for people who are curious about privacy-focused smartphones and alternative mobile ecosystems.
A Meaningful Step for an Individual Blogger
This opportunity is also meaningful from the perspective of individual blogging.
Many people may assume that only large media outlets or major YouTubers can contact overseas manufacturers and receive review units.
However, this experience suggests that even an individual blogger can communicate directly with a manufacturer if the purpose is clear and the approach is sincere.
In my case, I did not simply ask for a device. I explained that I wanted to introduce the Volla Phone Plinius accurately to Japanese readers, including both its appeal and the certification-related points that require caution.
I believe this kind of careful approach is important when writing about overseas technology products.
Conclusion: I Will Review the Volla Phone Plinius Carefully
Volla Systeme GmbH has kindly replied to my inquiry and confirmed that they would like to provide a review unit of the Volla Phone Plinius.
For me as an individual Japanese blogger, this is a valuable opportunity.
At the same time, because the device is an overseas smartphone, I will proceed carefully, especially regarding wireless certification and communication functions in Japan.
My review policy will be as follows:
- Clearly disclose that the review unit is provided on loan
- Use official information and materials whenever possible
- Separate confirmed facts from personal impressions
- Handle wireless certification carefully
- Explain both the appeal and the cautions for Japanese readers
Once the review unit arrives, I plan to publish a more detailed hands-on review focusing on the device itself, the Volla OS experience, and the practical points that matter to users in Japan.
For readers interested in overseas smartphones, privacy-focused devices, or alternative mobile ecosystems, the Volla Phone Plinius is a device worth watching.
Related Articles
The following Japanese articles explain the previous steps of this inquiry and the response from Volla Systeme GmbH.
- Japanese Article: Inquiry About Volla Phone Plinius, Japanese Certification, and Japan Market Considerations
- Japanese Article: Official Reply from Volla and Certification Points for Review
Reference Links